Rabies is an infectious and fatal disease transmitted through the bite and/or coming in contact with infected animals like DOGS, CATS and MONKEYS.
The signs of rabies include salivation, paralysis and death of infected animals. The bat is primary and a natural carrier of rabies but dogs, cats, monkeys and all warm blooded animals including human being can be carriers of the fatal disease.
There is no cure for rabies but there are 3 ways in which it can be prevented,
- By giving our pets annual anti rabies vaccine
- Ensuring that our pets do not stray/move about from the home.
- By preventing strange pets from visiting your pets.
All necessary rabies documents of your pets must be well kept.
ANTI RABIES MASS VACCINATION EXERCISE
The Adentan Municipal Assembly in collaboration with the Department of Agric, the vertinary division organized an anti-rabies mass vaccination within the various zonal councils, from the 4th September to 6th October 2021 to curb the spread of rabies among animals within the municipality.
The exercises took place in areas such as NEW LEGON, ADENTA, MALEJOR, AMRAHIA, AMANFRO, ASHIYIE, FAFRAHA, ASHALE BOTWE, NMAI DZORN, and LAKESIDE.
In each of these areas at least 3-4 vaccination clinics were mounted in other to get closer to the pet owners.
The main purpose of the exercise was to curb the spread of rabies as well as educate pet owners on how to relate to their pets.
SUMMARY OF THE EXERCISE
|DISEASE||TOWN/VILLAGE||NO OF ANIMALS||VACCINE USED|
Before the exercise, an announcement was carried out to inform target communities and languages used were mainly TWI, ENGLISH and GA.
TARGETED PEOPLE (AUDIENCE)
The targeted people were the general public especially pet owners within the Adentan Municipal Assembly, regardless of their background and/or status.
The announcement was done in almost all the electoral areas within the Adentan Municipal Assembly (AdMA).
- Some people were happy to see the announcement van in their communities.
- Some pet owners were happy and they recommended the assembly for that.
- The early morning announcement was very effective because of less noise in the environment.
- Some people even came out of their rooms and houses to come closer to the announcement van to listen to the announcement.
- Communication gadgets in the information van was not state-of-the-art and therefore makes the exercise very difficult.
- Poor road network within the assembly prevented us from reaching some areas.
- The early morning must be focused on very well therefore the announcement even be done ones a day.
- The announcement van should be more than one for any public announcement.
- Letters should be sent to the various social/religious/landlords groups in the Adentan Municipal Assembly, so as the announcement will serve as a reminder.
The Municipal Information Services office view the announcement as very effective means of sensitization and/or awareness creation on rabies control to the general public looking at the attendance and therefore will encourage the municipal Agric Department to embarked on the exercise yearly to eradicate rabies out of the municipality. Therefore, the announcement must be well planned and budgeted for effective exercise year on year.